Support is available with:
- Upon receipt of an award, review and signing of research agreements and creation of project account(s) in the University’s accounting system (in collaboration with the Columbia Sponsored Projects Administration).
- Writing and submitting no cost extension letters and requests to sponsors.
- Sponsored projects budgeting and budget revisions.
- Cost transfers between sponsored project accounts.
- Effort Certification.
- Review and signing of data user agreements, and NDAs/CDAs.
Post-award Procedures and Guidelines
- Once a grant is awarded, an account is set up for that particular project where all expanses need to be charged.
- It is important to charge expenses to correct accounts and sub-codes.
- It is important not to charge unallowable costs [e.g. Lobbying (federal, state or local), bad debt costs, alcohol, housing and personal living expenses (utilities, rent, etc.), First or business class travel].
- If there is an error in charging expenses to the correct account and/or sub-code, a cost transfer can be made within 90 days of the date of the expense.
- Effort Reporting: All PIs who receive salary from a sponsored project need to certify their effort. Principal investigators are also required to certify the effort of postdocs, graduate students, and staff funded by their grants. Effort must be certified annually within a designated time period (usually October through December).
- Data user agreements, and NDAs/CDAs: Please remember to share with us any Data user agreements, CDAs/NDAs you are asked to sign when you collaborate with companies. We can work with Columbia Technology Ventures to ensure the agreement protects your intellectual property rights and does not restrict publication of your research findings.