Having doubled the amount of space in the move to the new Manhattanville campus, the School looks forward to hosting companies, in addition to facilitating the use of off-campus venues. Virtual events will continue to be available to any company that incorporates online presentations and coffee chats into its recruiting strategy. All events, both on and off campus as well as those offered virtually, must be cleared in advance with the CMC to ensure a conflict-free calendar.
The Career Management Center is here to help you throughout the process of planning a company event with our students. Through many seasons, we’ve honed the process to make it as efficient and effective as possible for everyone involved.
Of course, between their coursework, club responsibilities, and career planning, our students have many demands on their time. So we also strive to minimize the conflicts with their busy schedules.
All formal and informal events, including those targeting student clubs, must be submitted through COIN in order for the CMC to ensure a conflict-free calendar. Examples of events include, and are not limited to company information sessions, practice area and regional presentations, diversity events, office hours, social events, invite-only events, multi-school events, and all networking events.
All Fall 2023 OCR requests received by 9 a.m. EDT on June 1, 2023 will be considered in our first round of booking. After this date, requests will be considered on a first-come, first-served basis. Please note, September 22, 2023 is the last date to request a fall event.
Review the Recruiter’s Guide to determine what events are best for your company.
All formal and informal events, including those targeting student clubs, must be submitted through COIN for the CMC to ensure a conflict-free calendar. Examples of events include, and are not limited to: company information sessions, practice area and regional presentations, diversity events, office hours, social events, invite-only events, multi-school events, and all networking events.
- Summer Semester 2024: January-term and EMBA students are in class over the summer and are available for information sessions and networking events for full-time opportunities.
- Fall Semester 2023: Companies are limited to hosting three events (including virtual events) per class year, in addition to a diversity event.*
- Examples of events that fall under this policy include: company information sessions, practice area networking events, social events, and invite only events.
- Examples of events excluded from this policy include: coffee chats, multi-school events and multi-firm events. Individual and small group coffee chats and informational interviews may be scheduled directly with students, but students must not be asked to miss class. It is recommended to follow event date and time guidelines to ensure a student does not have an academic commitment. We encourage companies to be flexible when offering students the opportunity to engage in coffee chats.
- Different divisions (e.g., investment banking vs. asset management) or geographic offices within a company may qualify as separate entities for the purpose of this policy, but firms must receive prior approval from the CMC before planning an event.
- Companies may not host events, including informal networking, on blackout dates. No multi-school events during the exam period will be marketed to students.
- Company events targeting only second-year students begin Tuesday, September 5, 2023, however companies may choose to host off-campus events as long as they begin no earlier than 6:30pm. Full-time interviews for second-year students may be at any day/time at a mutually agreeable time that does not conflict with class (options must be provided).
- Company events targeting first-year students begin Tuesday, September 26, 2023. Company representatives may not interact with matriculated first-year students prior to this date.
- Small group invitation-only events for first-year students begin November 1, 2023. Each company may host one small group invitation only event between November 1 and December 7, 2023. No invitation-only events, formal or informal, may take place after this date.
- See the Company Event calendar and full policies.
* Companies may host multiple diversity events, but must not allow individual students to attend more than one diversity event of their choice.
Further information on event policies may be found at Presentation Calendar & Policies
A company presentation is an opportunity for students to hear company overviews, internship or full-time job opportunities, and network with employers.
Company presentations may be scheduled for one-hour time blocks and include the following:
- Formal presentation 20-25 minutes
- Q&A 15-20 minutes
- Networking portion 15 to 20 minutes
To request a company presentation visit our Request and Schedule Events page.
Coffee Chats allow employers and students to have a conversation about the company and/or a specific role. Coffee chats are typically conducted by CBS alumni and may be in-person or virtual, on- or off-campus.
To request coffee chats please visit our Request and Schedule Events page.
Recommended Coffee Chat Locations in Manhattanville:
The Career Fair is for companies that are new to recruiting at Columbia Business School or have not generated a high number of attendees at past events. Additionally, companies that don’t typically participate in on-campus recruiting are invited to attend as well.
The School’s Annual Fall Career Fair will take place on Friday, September 29, 2023 from 11am to 2pm. Companies may participate in this event in lieu of holding a standalone event. No other company events may be booked on this day.