The Global Family Enterprise Program faculty have been recognized for contributions in research on family firms at the highest levels.
Visit Family Enterprise Insights for the latest research, pearls of wisdom, and expert advice from leading global scholars, family enterprise principals, and experienced practitioners.
Daniel Wolfenzon's article "Inside the Family Firm: The Role of Families in Succession Decisions and Performance" was ranked first in a review of research methodology in 13,461 papers in a Critical Finance Review article which found that it exemplifies "shock-based" research design. He has presented his paper “Drivers of Effort: Evidence from Employee Absenteeism” at nearly 20 institutions globally.
Other research includes:
- Governance Problems in Closely-Held Corporations In Journal of Financial and Quantitative Analysis (2011). Coauthor(s): Venky Nagar, Kathy Petroni, Daniel Wolfenzon
- The structure and formation of business groups: Evidence from Korean chaebols In Journal of Financial Economics (2011) Coauthor(s): Coauthor(s): Heitor Almeida, Sang Yong Park, Marti G. Subrahmanyam, Daniel Wolfenzon
- A theory of pyramidal ownership and family business groups In Journal of Finance (2006). Coauthor(s): Heitor Almeida, Daniel Wolfenzon
- Governance of Family Firms in Corporate Governance (2010).
We co-host New Ideas in Family Firms, an innovative academic-practitioner conference with INSEAD’s Wendel International Centre for Family Enterprise. This annual conference combines expertise, insights, and professional approaches of leading academics who study family firms along with leading practitioners who advise and consult to family firms.
Monthly Family Enterprise Insights Digests
- February 2023: Economic Aspects of the Energy Transition
- December 2022: How can imagining your future self help your health?
- November 2022: Does financial reporting misconduct pay off even when discovered?
- September 2022: Getting Women on the Board
- July 2022: Creating a Learning Society: A New Approach to Growth, Development, and Social Progress | What is wealth?
- June 2022: Highlights from the 2022 New Ideas in Family Firms Academic-Practitioner Conference
- May 2022: Reinvention & Resilience: Highlights from the 2022 Family Enterprise Conference
- April 2022: Competition vs. Collaboration | Family Systems Theory
- March 2022: How did wealth management work in the past? | What is wealth?
- February 2022: Is it lonely at the top? | What's the next gen to do?
- January 2022: Family vs. non-family CEOs | Women entrepreneurs | Launching a family office
- December 2021: Imagining your future self | How family business is the heart of a community
- November 2021: The relationship between declining interest rates and wealth inequality | Learning from play
- October 2021: The relationship between emotions and health in a family | What is a family enterprise? | How to lead a family business
- September 2021: Learn from research of family relationships and understanding autism spectrum disorders | How African family businesses are forging sustainable growth | Hospitality in a global family business
- August 2021: Compelling evidence that family-owned businesses last longer than their counterparts
- July 2021: Highlights from the New Ideas Academic-Practitioner Conference
- June 2021: How romantic couples divide tasks | How outside advisors can help family enterprise owners | How a family constitution can help guide the balance between work and family
- May 2021: How are information, communication, and influence related? | ESG investing for family offices | CBS alum's business growth story
- April 2021: Questioning long-held myths on: the relationship between money and happiness, group decision-making, and jointly-held leadership
- March 2021: What is fair middle ownership? | The role of family business ownership and governance in the opioid crisis | Lessons from one family's experience with a family constitution
- January 2021: Do wealthy people deserve to be rich? | Five aspects of ownership that are crucial to family business success | What legacy means
- April 2020: A long -term view in a complex time | What can family businesses do to help their communities? | How do emotions impact decision-making in your family enterprise?